Tuesday 24 June 2014

On goals

Goals are important

they allow for a target, timescale, and endless despair when something goes wrong. One of my first goals is to establish goals, notably, every month or two I like to outline what I'd like to have done and how important it is, for the last month, the goal was simple, something along the lines of "players" with a second goal of "players that work".

I can happily announce with some free time, I achieved the second one, simply put I wanted to be able to get a few players in the game, spawning, moving and visible to each other, while there's no meshes on the players yet, it's already possible to see multiple capsules charging about with little to no real interaction.

But they're there, and that's a start.

Normally I'd go into quite the bit of detail with the goals and dates for finishing, but as this is a project that mostly happens in my free time, I instead tend to list 'priorities' and a timescale.

So here's the current list.

Goals for June/July

-Priority 1

  • Aiming
  • Weapon 'slots' and information
  • Dropped weapons
  • Projectile spawning
-Priority 2 (done at a stretch)
  • Character model
  • Modular character setup
  • Some animation
  • A few weapons
-Priority 3 (probably next month)
  • Character abilities
  • Character health
  • Weapon 'skins'
These are then sorted into two separate list, anything important to gameplay either visually or mechanically (such as aiming or a character model) is considered more important than something that perhaps isn't as important (like a weapon skin).

More images, doodles and thought coming soon.

Also trying to find a decent screen capture software to show off what I have so far, as simplistic as it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment