Thursday 19 June 2014

On progress

So this week I've been getting into the swing of things, a lot of the first couple of days were spent doing everything work usually gets in the way of, hanging out with my partner, getting my cars oil changed and just cooling off a bit, after going so long working with only (fairly packed) weekends for breaks it's good to get a few days to yourself, even if the heat does play havoc with the old brain pan, spending the week almost (but not entirely) sick wasn't what I had planned but that's just something that's bound to happen.

So onto the project, I've got a fairly rough sketch for a character, this was mostly to get an idea of the kinds of characters and visual I want for the project, the sketch focused on the head and was key in deciding style, in the end I've decided to shy away from a serious storyline and more go for a heavy arcade havoc, as well as giving much more flexibility, this also allows a lot of variation visually, at first I'm going to try to keep all the characters to one style, likely adding more variety later.

Visually speaking the characters aimed for more 'cybergoth raver' than military
Personally I have grown quite wary of the current standard and fairly brown/grey environments games seem to be attached to, I understand when you're trying to portray a cruel harsh warzone that works, but I'm not aiming for that, immediately the game is going to be focused on a more outlandish portrayal, that through cloning advances and augmented reality, these chaotic (and illegal) rooftop brawls have become something of a spectator sport for the rich and elite. There's no focus on moral ambiguity or questionable motives in this game, the goal is simply chaotic arcade fun.

As for systems, currently I've got the following implemented:

-Movement and replication of 'players'
-Basic player representation (capsules)
-'Zoom' according to weapon/stick input, a shotgun will only show a short range compared to a rifle

the goal for the rest of this month is as follows:

-Player spawning and 'point priority'
-Aiming and projectile spawning
-Player health and damage
-Getting started on a 'base' character mesh that will be used as a place holder

If anyone has any feedback and suggestions I'd love to hear them, this game is being built as a personal project and as something I think would be enjoyable for people, and so it's great to hear personal opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment